Chocolate shortbread cookies joined together with white cream – Oreo cookies are probably known the world over. In the early days of the Internet, when there were still forums where people shared working and often chic recipes, I used to graze endlessly on foreign cooking forums. I was always interested in the cuisine of other countries. And then, on one of the American forums, someone brought up an Oreo cookie recipe. People agreed that cookies are not what they were in my childhood, they went bad… I wish I could find a recipe for “the one”. It’s just like us, isn’t it?
At that time in Russia these cookies had just begun to appear on sale and cost like an airplane wing. So, as soon as a recipe appeared and got a lot of “yes, this is it, thank you! – it immediately went into the notebook.
I’ve been baking cookies using this recipe for about 15 years now. In my opinion, it’s really much better than what’s sold in stores. For me, not only the natural composition and good taste of the finished product are always important, but also the variability of the recipe. This recipe meets all the requirements. In addition to the fact that this chocolate chip cookie has a very simple composition and is not difficult to make, homemade Oreo can easily be adjusted to your tastes. For example, add a little more salt or make the halves of the cookie thicker if you want it to be softer. Anyway… You can experiment and come up with your perfect recipe. I have this: thicker crusts, a little more salt, a little less cream.
Homemade Oreo Cookie Recipe
For 24-30 large cookies about 6 cm in diameter and weighing about 50 g each, you will need
For the cookies:
- 225g softened butter
- 200 g sugar
- 2 tsp. fine salt (10 g)
- 2 large eggs (CO)
- 250 g flour
- 150g of dark cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
For the cream filling:
- 110g softened butter
- 220 g powdered sugar
- 10 g vanilla sugar or a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (optional)
Recipe step by step:
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Beat butter with sugar and salt until white and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the beaten butter and stir until all the ingredients come together.
- Mix flour, cocoa and baking soda together and sift together.
- Combine the flour and butter mixture. Mix with a mixer with a paddle attachment or with your hands until the flour is fully combined with the butter.
- Form into a flat rectangle, wrap in cellophane and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the cooled dough between sheets of baking paper or cling film. The dough is 3-5 mm thick.
- Cut out cookies of desired shape and diameter.
- Turn them out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave a 1-1.5 cm distance between the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 160 degrees oven
- Carefully transfer the finished cookies to a rack and let them cool and stabilize a bit for about an hour.
While the cookies are cooling, make the cream.
Recipe for Oreo cookie cream
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat on medium speed with a mixer until the cream is puffy, white, and pliable
- For a more delicate, milky flavor, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to the finished cream and quickly, just for a few seconds, mix with the mixer on medium speed.
- Using a pastry bag or a regular teaspoon, spread the cream on the middle of one cookie and cover with the second cookie. Lightly press and spread the cream over the cookie. Do not force it – cookies are still very fragile and can crack.
What to pay attention to when making cookies
The original recipe uses very dark alkalized cocoa. I made both with alkalized and regular Golden Label cocoa. To be honest, I didn’t feel any difference. And now I make it with regular cocoa. If you, like me, don’t care about the “marketable appearance” but rather about the taste, try regular cocoa. Most importantly, don’t get low-fat cocoa. Yes, they have those too. They are usually the least expensive and the lower fat content is written in small print on the back of the package. This kind of cocoa is generally bad for chocolate baked goods.
As with any shortbread cookies and buttercream – good butter is also very important here. The fat content must be at least 82%.
So that the salt does not crunch on your teeth in the finished cookie – use a fine salt. The amount of salt in the ingredients list (10-12 grams) is approximate. If you want saltier, you can take 14 grams).
Kneading, baking and storage.
This shortbread dough is made warm. Accordingly, it is very important that all the ingredients are at room temperature. Therefore, before kneading the cookies – let all the ingredients stand at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
Like any shortbread dough, this dough does not need to be stirred for a long time. Once you have obtained the dough structure you need for a particular step – finish and move on to the next step.